(18 months – Adult)
Open Division is the third track in our programing at Summers Academy of Dance. This program is filled with classes for students ranging in age from 18 months – Adult with multiple time slots to help fit everyone’s busy schedules. This program is for the beginner, intermediate or advanced dancer that is not looking for a multiple class per week commitment, but for the once or twice a week (or really as many as you would like) class participation. Our classes offered in this program consist of:
TODDLER CLASSES – For our youngest Starrs!
- STARR IS BORN – Ages 18 months to 3 years: This 45 minute class will help your child learn to focus, follow instructions, socialize with others and increase their attention span.
ROTATIONAL CLASSES – Expose your dancer to 3 different forms of dance, focusing on one dance style each week. Ballet, Tap, and Jazz are rotated weekly so the students received a full class in one genre while still taking three different styles of dance throughout the year. W/ Tumbling – Our popular Rising Starr and Fusion 1 & 2 classes are also offered with a tumbling option. This extended time class allows students to learn tumbling in addition to Ballet, Tap, and Jazz on a weekly basis.
- RISING STARR – Ages 3-5 years: A 45 minute class to include warm-ups and instructional steps combined with children’s songs to reinforce what was taught. Counting, learning “left” from “right”, and sequences/patterns in choreography are incorporated for a complete educational dance experience.
- FUSION 1 & 2 – Ages 5-7 years: This 55 minute class will teach proper warm ups, introduce technically correct beginning level dance steps incorporating children’s popular music to develop coordination, grace and confidence. Learn to count music and perform in 3 dance styles!
- FUSION 3 & 4 – Ages 7- 9 years: This 55 minute class will introduce more advanced warm ups and steps, and work on combining counting and dance steps into accurately and technically correct choreography. Learn to dance and excel in 3 dance forms!
- FUSION 5 & 6 – Ages 9-11 years: This 55 minute class will teach intermediate and advanced skills in all 3 genres with great smiles and solid stage presentation. Technical proficiency and transitions in movements will make your dancer glide across the stage.
EXTREME JAZZ & HIP HOP – Classes use jazz techniques for turns, alignment and choreography and combine it with fun and current hip hop moves and the latest styles to create a one of a kind class! Your dancer will learn the best of both genres!
- EX JAZZ & HIP HOP 1 & 2 – Ages 6 and up. This 55 minute class is a great way to learn the basics of both Jazz Dance & Hip Hop skills.
- EX JAZZ & HIP HOP 2 & 3 – Ages 8 and up. This 55 minute class takes you to the next level of progressive movement.
- EX JAZZ & HIP HOP 3 & 4 – Ages 12 and up. A 55 minute class. Intermediate choreography is taught as a smooth combination to create mini music video combinations.
BOYS CLASS – taught by former professional dancer Marc Petrocci (Summers Academy Artistic Associate) Ages 6 – 13. This 55 minute class is a great introduction for any young gentlemen who is interested in dance or learning how to move their body in a coordinated fashion. Combining body conditioning exercises with basic ballet, jazz and contemporary movements. This class will get all of the gentlemen excited moving to music in a strong and confident manner developing the basic skills they will need to take dance into their future.
HIP HOP – Our Hip Hop taught by professional hip hop dancer Brandon Jackson, offer to bring your dancer the latest moves in a fun and energetic class great for boys or girls. Having previous dance experience is not required for this style.
- HIP HOP INTERMEDIATE/ADVANCED – Ages 11 – 13: A 1 hour class building on the foundations of hip hop dance including different styles and coordinated body movement.
- HIP HOP – Ages 13 and Up: A 1 hour class taking your dancer to the next level of hip hop movement, in a faster paced class working on body mechanics and dynamics through thrilling and exciting hip hop exercises and choreography.
AERIAL DANCE –Explore dance in 3 dimensions, using silks to ascend and “fly” in new and creative bodily designs.
- AERIAL DANCE 1– For the Beginner. A 1 hour class to include warm ups, Silk Work and conditioning.
- AERIAL DANCE 2 – For the non-Beginner. A 1 hour class to include warm ups, Silk Work and conditioning.
- AERIAL DANCE 3 – For our Advanced students. A 1 hour class to perfect technique and acquire additional skill levels.
BALLET TECHNIQUE – All Ballet Technique classes require formal dance attire. Classes incorporate correct training, teaching correct ballet technique, vocabulary and body alignment. A “must have” class to create grace, poise and confidence. Popular with ice skaters and gymnasts to develop performance technique.
- BALLET TECHNIQUE CLASSES 1 & 2 Ages 5 & Up: A 1 hour and 1/4 class.
- TEEN & ADULT BALLET & LYRICAL – Ages 16 and up. A 1 hour class. Learn technique, terminology and have fun while learning ballet.
ADDITIONAL STUDIO CLASSES OFFERED
- CONTEMPORARY DANCE –A 1 hour class that teaches choreography encompassing a variety of concepts; athletic, emotional and modern.
- LYRICAL 1, 2 or 3 – A 1 hour class where students will learn to perform a dance that interprets the lyrics of their favorite songs.
- ADULT TAP – Ages 16 years and up: An hour and a half tap class of fundamentals, choreography and technique offered to those returning to dance or the beginning student who wants to learn the proper method & style in a relaxed adult atmosphere.
- ADULT HIP HOP & JAZZ- Ages 16 years and up: A 1 hour class combining fast paced movements with current songs for an upbeat, energizing class!
- ADVANCED BALLET – taught by former professional dancer Marc Petrocci (Summers Academy Artistic Associate) Ages 14- Adult for the adult advanced dancer looking to continue their study of the balletic technique in a once a week format.
**All levels are based on ability and/or prior dance training**
OPEN DIVISION ATTIRE
All leotards for Starr is Born, Rising Starr, Fusion and Ballet Technique Classes classes must be purchased through the Summers Academy of Dance.
- Starr is Born – Pink leotard, pink tights and pink ballet shoe
- Rising Starr (with or without tumbling) – Pink leotard, pink tights, pink ballet shoe, tan jazz boot, black tap shoes
- Fusion 1 & 2 (with or without tumbling) – Lavender leotard, pink tights, pink ballet shoe, tan jazz boot, black tap shoe
- Fusion 3 & 4 -Light blue leotard, pink tights, pink ballet shoe, tan jazz boot, black tap shoe
- Lyrical, Hip Hop & Jazz, Leaps & Turns Classes – All black dance pants and tank/cami top or leotard. Bare Feet or Dance “Paws” for Lyrical. Dance sneakers or Jazz boots for Hip Hop & Jazz.
- All Boys – basic athletic wear to start transitioning to white shirt and black pants. Black Split Sole Canvas Ballet Shoes
- All Adults – All Black attire. Appropriate shoes for genre.
- All Students – Hair Up & Attached for all classes, NO jewelry, NO gum
- Ballet Technique Classes -Black cami leotard, pink tights, pink split-sole ballet shoes (please follow the instructions below to order your black leotards through out blochworld.com website, the class is listed under ‘Ballet Tech’, and you may come to the studio and try on sample sizes at anytime. Our receptionist will assist you.)
Ballet Technique Class Ordering…
Please follow these simple steps (and as always please contact our front desk if you have any problems).
- Go to: blochworld.com
- Click on the ‘Dance’ link in the bottom left corner of their home page
- Click on the ‘Quick Code’ link in the top right corner of the page
- Enter our studio code into the box, our special studio code is (this is case specific so please remember to use all capital letters): (please see our front desk for our code) then click ‘View Catalogue’.
- Select your dancer’s level to view leotard options and have fun shopping!
- Can I buy these leotards anywhere else?
Yes you can, while you may find similar leotards on other sites we have a specific contract with Bloch to guarantee the exact color to ensure all of our leotards match. If you order from another distributor you are not guaranteed this specific consideration and we may have to ask you to reorder another leotard from our site. We kindly ask you to keep in mind the purpose of a studio uniform is ‘uniformity’ both in color and in style and to help aid the teachers. Our Artistic Director has spent countless hours speaking directly with Bloch/Mirella in negotiating this guaranteed contract for our studios specific colors to be available to us in more than one style to accommodate all body types and a variety of personal preferences. With that no other styles are allowed whether it be from Mirella or another company that happens to have the same color.
- Will the proceeds of these leotards give back to the studio and students in any capacity?
Yes! A small portion of each sale goes back to the studio to further help us to with programming development, maintenance costs for our state of the art dance studios and costume upkeep for our Nutcracker and other performance costumes.
- I see there are matching color skirts…are the skirts to be a mandatory purchase as well?
We have included matching color chiffon skirts, this is NOT mandatory but an option for each individual student (the ability to wear these skirts will of course be left up to the teacher for each individual class depending on what the class is structured for).